Monday, August 28, 2006

Curiosity Killed The Cat

Too many teachers say that.

It is frustrating. Adults say that sort of thing to make kids shut up.

The first time someone said that to me, I flushed in embarrassment while the other kids laughed at me.

Have you noticed, most jokes make fun of someone. People laugh at ... not with ...

My second thought was “Poor cat”.

I tried to imagine a cat hearing a noise. As he goes to investigate, his curiosity aroused, he finds the granddad of all rats (with a curious resemblance to my teacher). He overpowers the cat, squashes him, humiliates him, and then eats him.

The image of the frightened cat, hissing, hair on end and the smug look on the rat’s face followed me around.

Curiosity has probably been the driving force behind human development. If we didn't become extinct can you imagine how boring life would be?

A life without “why” would also be a life without “because”. Without questions, “how”, “what”, “when”, who”.

Aside from an absense of journalists, we would be very dull indeed.

I always saw this cat been eaten and surrounded by a group of smaller rats laughing away, as if it were the greatest joke of all time.

Then one day I saw the cat, who heard a noise, investigate and come upon Grand Rat. He froze. His hair stood on end. He hissed.

Grand Rat puffed up into a monstrous being.

The cat knew he was done for so he attacked, slashing with his claws.

Grand Rat deflated as rancid air flushed out of him, making him grow smaller and smaller. Pathetic Rat could no longer hold his head up.

The cat walks tall with a smirk on his face.

“Curiosity killed the cat!” he said to me.

“And satisfaction brought him back” I shouted.

The giggles were aimed at the teacher.

There was a price to pay.

But I walk with a smirk on my face.

No comments: